Tuesday, May 3, 2016

CAN ICE CREAM RUN TURNED INTO THIS??


What began as just a simple ice cream craving, had turned into a God given opportunity.  

My sister and I had 5 minutes until Baskin Robins was about to close.  Once we got there we decided that we wanted something else instead, so we went to the Safeway grocery story right next door.  As we walked towards the entrance, we saw a man sitting on the floor with a sign saying "Please Help." We stopped to acknowledge his presence and asked him if he wanted a sandwich.  We came back with some food and just like that, an hour flew by.   This is his story.

It's my honor to introduce Mario.
A loyal man who has an incredible capacity to love.  

He was a US Marine who had two honorable discharges.  He suffers from insomnia, alcoholism and a heavy heart.  After leaving the Marines,  the trauma of taking lives and combat haunts him which lead to drinking.  On top of that, he lost his mother very quickly by a brain hemorrhage.  As tears streamed down his face, he tells us: "One minute i'm talking to my mother on the phone saying, 'what do you need woman' because that's what I called her at times.  She tells me she needs help to go to the store.  I tell her 'I'll be right there' and I jump in the shower not knowing my phone has been ringing.  Once I jumped out, I picked up the phone and it was my niece saying my mother has collapsed and the ambulance is on it's way.  She died instantly."

He carries so much pain and anger not only from the loss of his mother but also because he isn't getting the help he was promised by the government.  He tells us that he is still on the waiting list for housing in Santa Clara County and it's been a few years.  So he daily sits outside grocery stores etc, hoping to make $80 a day in order to stay in a motel.  He tells us he met someone who is now his girlfriend.  "She has a lot of medical problems" he tells us.  "I vowed to take care of her and not leave her" he goes on saying.  We suggested some programs in the area that provide 3 meals a day, a place to sleep etc. but he tells us that they wont accept his girlfriend due to some issues.   That, i'm going to do some research on but I was struck by his loyalty and love for this woman.

Here is a man who can go get help for himself but he wont do it if it means leaving another in the dust.  Here is a man who literally doesn't have much but is willing to give his life for another.  WOW!! I don't know about you but I am at a loss for words.  What an incredibly selfless heart this man has.  I am in tears as i'm recalling this encounter with Mario.    

He endures the ridicule from passerby's saying "Get a job" etc.  "It Hurts" he tells us.  "I could go rob a bank or kill myself, but I wont.  I can't.  They just don't understand" he says.

After listening to his story, my sister and I took the opportunity to tell him about 
the Love of Jesus and how the Savior of the world truly sees him.  
It was hard for him to receive at first as he tells us, with more tears streaming down his face; "but i've taken lives before.  I didn't mean to but it was my job." 

 "There is absolutely NOTHING that can separate you from the Love of God" 
is what we told him.  

We offer prayer and he takes it without hesitation.  We began to declare the Finished work of Christ over His life, Joy, Peace, freedom and The Unfailing Love of God.  

Before leaving He says; "Thank you" but then proceeds with; "I know I need to let go of the anger I have kept in my heart about losing my mother."  And he ends with; "What you prayed over me, it made me see things differently.  I really felt it.  I felt a difference."

This man believes in the power of prayer.  He will never pass up prayer is what he said.  I asked if I could share his story so more people could pray and he said YES.  So family, friends and fellow readers, wherever you are right now, would you take a moment to cover this incredible man with prayer.  God surly hears them from heaven.  Also, if you know of ways to help Mario and his significant other, please contact me.  What an opportunity to be the Hands&Feet of Jesus!

Meeting this man had more of an impact than I truly expected.  I was incredibly convicted, challenged and inspired to love even more selflessly&sacrificially.  The Lord constantly shows us his heart and reminds us how to live through people least expected.  Thank you Jesus.

If you didn't have much, would you go as far as giving all you have for another?




This is "Walkin With Joy"
my life as a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird