Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"BBQ & Rice"



We always hear or are being taught to "Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus"
I know many as well as myself grew up wondering what the actually looks like.
 
The other day I had the incredible opportunity to
be the Hands and Feet of Jesus through BBQ and Rice.
 
When we get the opportunity to tell someone about Jesus, we can tend to focus rather more on the words than the actions.
 
But what if the Actions speak louder than the Words?
 
My Mom, Aunt and I had a few errands to run and around lunch time we decided to grab something to eat at this small Filipino restaurant.  It's this tiny restaurant and homey in it's simplicity where they serve some of the most delicious filipino BBQ that I can always eat two sticks haha.
 
After we finished our meal and left the restaurant, my Mom and Aunt decided to go into one of the side stores while I decided to go into another.  After walking out and walking towards the store my family went into, I came across a man who was squatting outside against the brick wall next to a liquor store.  I suddenly felt the heart of God and stopped to greet him 'hello'.  He looked up at me then looked back down and I didn't want to hover over him so I squatted near him to meet him at his eye level to ask his name. 
 
He said his name was Carlos
I began to ask him a little bit about his story.  He didn't disclose much but I had the privilege to know he was originally from Los Angeles.  He moved to San Jose two years ago after his mom passed away and he has a lot of family here.  I  then encouraged him to go visit them and he responded with "I don't think they want to see me." 
I could see in his face and hear in his voice, sadness and pain.  I was able to catch on that he didn't want to talk further about it.
 
My heart began to break and I knew at that moment the Lord was allowing me to feel the loneliness and pain Carlos was feeling.  I asked if I could pray for him and he kindly refused.  I couldn't hold in what I knew God felt for him.  So I took the chance to tell him that
GOD SEES HIM AND HE CARES.  HE IS NOT ALONE AND HE IS SO SPECIAL.
 
His face clearly showed an expression of "She's crazy" haha.  He respectfully said thank you as he was trying to leave.  I couldn't keep him from leaving but I felt like there was something more I needed to do.  So I asked him one more question,
"Are you hungry?" 
He stops and tells me he would like a beer.  I asked if there was anything else besides a beer that I could get him and he tells me
"I really want some BBQ but no one will give me some."
 
I felt this joy and excitement welling up inside me because
I JUST CAME FROM A RESTAURANT THAT SERVES GREAT BBQ!!!!!!!
 
I told him I know of a place and asked if I could get him some with rice and he responded with a "YES."
 
Before I proceeded towards the restaurant I asked him,
"Will you wait for me?" and for the first time,  I had the sweet honor to see his face light up at that very moment during our whole conversation as he responded with a "Yes, I will wait for you."
 
After handing him his food,  he had to leave to take his medication.  As I watched him leave I had to tell him one more time,
"GOD LOVES YOU CARLOS.  GOD BLESS YOU!" 
And to my surprise,  he stops, turns around and says with a big smile:
"Thank You.  God Bless you too!"
He then nodded his head, looked up with a smile one more time, turned around and walked away.
 
I was reminded at that moment that Jesus never made following him complicated.  So to be His hands and Feet shouldn't be complicated either. 
It's quite simple, 
Love like how he loves!
It could simply be through some BBQ and RICE!
 
 
This is Walkin With Joy
my life as a missionary
 
 

1 comment:



blogger template by lovebird